Release date: 9 October 2023
If you are upgrading from a previous version, please see Upgrading in the user docs.
These are just the minimum supported versions. We recommend keeping all of your software and operating systems up-to-date.
- Moodle upgrade: Moodle 3.11.8 or later.
- PHP version: minimum PHP 8.0.0 Note: minimum PHP version has increased since Moodle 4.1. PHP 8.2.x is supported too. See PHP for details.
- PHP extension sodium is required. See Environment - PHP extension sodium.
- PHP setting max_input_vars must be >= 5000. For further details, see Environment - max input vars.
- PHP variants: Only 64-bit versions of PHP are supported. Note: Changed since 4.1.
Moodle supports the following database servers. Again, version numbers are just the minimum supported version. We recommend running the latest stable version of any software.
|PostgreSQL||13 (increased since Moodle 4.1)||Latest|
|MySQL||8.0 (increased since Moodle 4.1)||Latest|
|MariaDB||10.6.7 (increased since Moodle 4.1)||Latest|
|Microsoft SQL Server||2017||Latest|
Note that, since Moodle 4.3, the maximum length for the database prefix (
$CFG->prefix) is 10 characters. Installation or upgrade won't be possible with longer prefixes.
Moodle is compatible with any standards compliant web browser. We regularly test Moodle with the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
For the best experience and optimum security, we recommend that you keep your browser up to date.